Social Activities while at YAPC::NA 2007
I will update this with ongoing social activities occuring during the conference.
General Houston Attractions
From the Third Ward to Chinatown in the Southwest, Houston is known for fabulous dining and great Houston attractions. You can enjoy fine dining in the very posh area of River Oaks, tantalizing Texas barbecue downtown, and even some fresh seafood from the Kemah Boardwalk on Galveston Bay. From live music venues of local talent, to the sophisticated ambience of the symphony or ballet, Houston has something for everyone.
Since you're in the place that broadcast man's first step on the moon, you may want to pay a visit to Space Center Houston, where you'll be whisked into outer space through simulations and films. Once back on earth, you can hop on the tram to the complex's NASA/Johnson Space Center to watch astronauts and engineers at work and in training.
- MLB: 2005 National League Champion Houston Astros (Apr - Sept)
- NBA: two-time World Champion Houston Rockets (Oct - Apr)
- WNBA: four-time World Champion Houston Comets (May - Sept)
- MLS: Houston Dynamo, Houston's first Major League Soccer team (Apr - Nov)
- NFL: Houston Texans, the newest expansion team in the NFL (Aug - Jan)
- AHL: Calder Cup Champion Houston Aeros (Oct - Mar)
- Entertainment District
- The Downtown Entertainment District is a safe, fun and walk able neighborhood featuring more than 70 bars, clubs, lounges, restaurants and hotels in Houston's historic center, only a few blocks from the city's world-famous Theater and Sports/Convention districts.
- Theater District
- One of only five cities in the U.S. with resident companies in the four disciplines of the performing arts: Alley Theatre, Houston Ballet, Houston Symphony and Houston Grand Opera
- Alley Theatre
- 1996 Tony Award Winner for Outstanding Regional Company
- Broadway in Houston
- Da Camera (Houston's presenter of chamber music and jazz events)
- Houston Ballet
- Houston Grand Opera
- Houston Symphony
- Society for the Performing Arts
- Theatre Under the Stars
- Uniquely Houston
- Museum District
- Home to 15 institutions, including:
- Theme Parks
- Space Center Houston is the Official Visitors Center for NASA's Johnson Space Center
- SplashTown water park
- Moody Gardens on Galveston Island
- Kemah Boardwalk
- Downtown Aquarium
- More than 165 public and private golf courses
- Located 50 miles from the Gulf of Mexico
- Located 30 minutes from Clear Lake, a 2,000-acre destination for boating enthusiasts
- Third-largest pleasure boat basin in the U.S.
- More than 80 miles of nature, hike, and bike trails